Top Ten Tuesday: Words/Topics That Make Me NOT Pick Up a Book


Top Ten Tuesdays is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make You NOT pick up a book: 

(1) Cheating - if a lead character is a cheater chances are I will hate them with a burning passion


(2) Dominant/Controlling Alpha-Males - Now I'm not talking about the bad boys who like to be a little dominant (they're totally fine). I'm talking about the ones that like to control what the heroines eat, how they dress and what they do every waking moment of the day. It's not sexy and if any guy tried to tell me what to eat & wear I would punch him in his junk!!



(3) Tragic - As soon as I see this word I'm out. If the story starts with a tragedy thats fine, but not a tragic ending

(4) Terminal Illness - I read to escape all the horrible things that happen in real life, so stories about characters dyeing just upset me too much.


(5) Love Triangle - there are of course exceptions to this but generally not a fan of them.


(6) Horror - I am complete wuss when it comes to horror stories. I end up having to hide any scary books in the freezer (FYI - You'll probably only get that joke if you watched Friends)

(7) Gore - Yeah, this one kind of continues on the horror theme - I told you I am a complete sook and can't handle anything scary or violent or I won't sleep for weeks…seriously I've never made it all the way through a horror film :(


(8) Zombies - I don't know what it is about them but I find them so gross (again there are a few exceptions to this one)

(9) War (as in realistic war) - not really a fan of stories the revolve around WW 1 or 2. If it's just the setting that's fine, but not if it's the centre of the story. War tactics etc don't interest me.

(10) Autobiographies - unless I'm really interested in a particular person's life, I usually bypass biographies. I'm all about fiction!

So you can probably tell from this list that I pretty much like non-violent sappy HEA stories!

Well those are my Top Ten Ten - what about yours?

12 comments:

  1. I have horror/slasher on my list as well, so I'm right with you re: no more gore. It's just not something I want to read about. I've read just a few YA books on terminal illness, and that was enough. There seemed to be a flood of them all at once a few years back and it was too much.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep seeing the Controlling Alpha-Males in lists (incl my own) - glad to hear I'm not not alone. Although based on the endless supply of those books it does feel like it at times :( Also Love Triangle - so sick of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh yes, I would never read a book where there's cheating involved too.
    And I'm also a HEA person myself *high five!* I try to avoid books with sad/tragic endings as much as possible ((I have this bad habit of checking out the last page of books sometimes to know whether the books have happy/tragic ending.... Eheheheheh))

    Tirta @ I Prefer Reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all of those, except I do like real war stories, I find them fascinating! Love the gifs :)

    My TTT:
    http://evelinesbooks.blogspot.nl/2013/07/top-ten-tuesday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. WWII was on my list as well. War itself bores me or makes me mad. And WWII in particular has been done so much, in every way possible, from paranormal to realistic, from children's books to nonfiction. I mean no disrespect to the victims or families, but there are other wars in our history and I wish that writers would realize this.

    Bekka
    Pretty Deadly Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many tragedies, zombies, horror and gore around the Lists today! It seems like we readers are a picky and nervous bunch. :) Not that I don't completely agree with you. Besides, what's with the zombie overpopulation in YA these days! It's annoying, and I am finished with it. Bring on the next wave of paranormalities... we're already beginning to see the rise of the mermaids, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Autobiographies are a definite!
    My TTT- http://angelica-2009.blogspot.com/2013/07/top-ten-tuesday-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheating is a big no-no for me too. HATE it.

    TTT @ Krista's Dust Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have so many there that I forgot to put on my list! I also don't stand cheating. Ugh makes me want to hit somebody! Great list!

    My TTT

    Ally @ Book Fixation

    ReplyDelete
  10. I HATE reading books that have people cheating on each other. It's wrong and really, no thank you.
    Dominant males don't sit well with me either. I don't like being controlled.
    Autobiographies aren't really my thing either.
    Great list! :D

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm also get spooked really easily :) i recently read/loved THE DIVINERS, but i *totally* wanted to hide it in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by & feel free to leave a comment...I love comments!!! And I'm always happy to spread the comment love around :)