HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!!

So today is January 26th, Australia Day and I thought I would celebrate with a special post about my favourite Aussie authors, and some Aussie slang just for fun!!

AUSSIE SLANG/PHRASES YOU NEED TO KNOW
Fairy Floss - cotton candy
Maccas - McDonald's (as in the fast food shop)
Bogan - basically someone who is trashy. The closest translation would be 'white trash'
Mozzie - mosquitoe
Cozzie - swimming costume
Sunnies - sun glasses
Brekky - breakfast
Ute - utility vehicle aka pick up truck
Tosser - an idiot
Devo - devastated
Budgie Smugglers - speedos, mens bathers
Pash - short for passionate kiss aka snogging, making out ;)

AUSSIE AUTHORS I lOVE

Not only one of my favourite Aussie authors, but Jessica Shirvington's books sit proudly on my top shelf, right next to Harry Potter...need I say more?!

I absolutely loved her debut novel co-written with Meagan Spooner and can't wait to read more from Amie! And it's also just been announced that it has just been picked up as a possible TV series!


Her debut book Every Breathe came out last year and I can't wait to continue to series. And in exciting news Every Breathe is set to be published in the US later this year!

I read my first book by Melina back in high school and have loved her books ever since. They always have really beautiful messages woven into them.

I absolutely love how Rachel waves her Aussie flag with an Australian MC in her New Adult series. And with plenty of Aussie slang and cultural reference too!

David McRobbie
David's books where the reason I first fell in love with YA stories, after reading See How They Run when I was about 11 or 12. I still love rereading his books!

Vanessa Garden
Vanessa's debut novel Captivate has just been released and can't wait to start reading it in the next couple of weeks!


And I can't talk about Australian literature without mentioning the incredible Mem Fox! One of the most popular Australian picture books would have to be Possum Magic! Although one of my first memories is my Mum reading me Koala Lou - the line "Koala Lou, I do love you. I always have and I always will" is one of my favourite lines ever written and will always have a special place in my heart.


While there are of course many many other talented Aussie authors, these are just some that I have personally read and loved.

Have you read any of these books?
Are there any other Aussie authors that you love?

8 comments:

  1. Besides Jessica Shirvington and Melina Marchetta's books that you mentioned, my personal faves are Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, Night Creatures trilogy by Marianne de Pierres, The Rephaim series by Paula Weston and Whisper by Chrissie Keighery (Perry).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of some of these so I'll have to check them out. Especially The Book Theif, I've been wanting to read that one for a while now

      Delete
  2. Oh how fun is this post! Happy Australia Day Amy! I love Rachel of course, and I've read Amie's These Broken Stars, but that's it! I keep wanting to check out Jessica's series though. I love how you call sunglasses sunnies and cotton candy fairy floss. AND- tosser- that's great! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess!! I can't recommend The Violet Eden books highly enough...seriously everyone MUST reading them! And yeah, tosser, hehe I love using that word lol ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh I love the book Thief in Sandra's previous comment!! I didn't know Jessica Shirvington was Australian!! Thanks for sharing such a creative post!

    I hope to see you around my blog,

    Katelynn
    www.literarychameleon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katelynn! I agree the Book Theif sounds great, I really must read it soon, and watch the movie too!

      Delete
  4. Great Post! An amazing Australian Author that I love is Monica James! Her books are awesome, and she's such a sweetheart :)

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I haven't read Monica's books yet, but they sounds great! I'm always on the lookout for new Aussie authors, thanks for the rec!! :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by & feel free to leave a comment...I love comments!!! And I'm always happy to spread the comment love around :)