{REVIEW} Christmas Catch by Chelsea Cameron


Title: Christmas Catch
Series: The 12 NA's of Christmas
Author: Chelsea M. Cameron
Published: Oct 25th 2013
Age Group: New Adult
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Source: eARC provided by author for fair & honest review
Rating: 4/5

BLURB:
*** Christmas Catch is proud to be a part of The 12 NA's of Christmas *** 
12 New Adult Novellas. 12 Best Selling Authors. November 2013.

Two years ago, when Ivy Emerson bailed from the tiny fishing village she’d grown up in to go to Columbia, Sawyer McCallister was the only thing she was sad to leave behind, and she still didn’t look back. But when her mother guilts her into coming home for Christmas, she crashes headfirst into Sawyer, who’s also returned after being away. 
Now that they’ve both been dragged back to Saltwater, Maine, they might just realize it’s where they belong. Together.

REVIEW:
The story:
After graduating from high school, Ivy was quick to make her escape from her small hometown to go off the college. But this Christmas she's making a reluctant return home. Bumping into her old high school boyfriend, Sawyer, that she left behind, wasn't on the top of her Christmas wish list, but in a town this small is was bound to happen. And they both quickly realise that the sparks are still very much there.

With the help of their loving and meddling families, they find themselves spending a lot of time together over the holidays, reminding them just how much they've missed each other.

The characters:
Ivy may have been against going home at the beginning, but after catching up with her family and Sawyer, she starts to see what she's been missing while away at college. I liked that she learned to appreciate her family and her relationship with Sawyer.

Sawyer is such a sweetie, he works hard at his family's business, even though it's not what he wanted to do. He's strong & committed, but around Ivy he seems a lot younger and more innocent, which I really loved. 

The romance:
Who doesn't love a sweet story of old high school sweethearts rekindling their romance! I loved watching them get to know each other as adults and realise that they're still in love. They recreate some of the little traditions they had as kids and it was so cute! And Sawyer's nickname for Ivy - 'Poison' was really sweet!

The Writing:
Chelsea managed to create a realistic and believable history to the characters and their relationships - not just between Ivy & Sawyer, but also with their families. And to have that in a novella was excellent!

FINAL WORD:
I loved this story, it gave me that warm and toasty feeling, while still be a little sexy too! If your a fan of NA romance, pick this one up for a fun festive read!

CONTENT:
Sexuality: medium / sex scene
Violence: none
Language: medium / occasional f word
Drugs & alcohol: mild


EXCERPT:
“Need some help?” This is not happening.
I turn around slowly. The first thing I see is a truck I haven’t seen since high school. The second is the guy I haven’t seen since high school.
“Ivy?” His hair’s a little longer, and his face is a little leaner. He looks . . . older. But his eyes. They’re still the same.
“Sawyer,” I whisper, because I can’t believe it’s him. What the hell is he doing here?
A car drives behind Sawyer, honks, and he waves them on. The two of us are frozen, unable to move. At least I am. He recovers first.
“I have a chain in the back. I can get you out of there.”
“Okay,” I say as he pulls in front of my car and then gets out. He seems taller, but that can’t be. He’s wearing a thick blue Carhartt jacket, torn jeans and work boots. He moves to the back of the truck and gets a chain out, which he hooks to the tow hook on the back of my car and then to his truck. He hasn’t said a word.
“Okay, get in,” he says and I get back in my car. With a minimum of revving of his engine and mine, we get my car out of the ditch. I get out to thank him.
Instead, I say, “What are you doing back here?” He wraps up the chain and doesn’t meet my eyes.
“My dad died,” he says as he tosses the chain in the bed of the truck. “Bye, Ivy.” And as quickly as he appeared, he’s gone, and the only remnant of is being here is the cloud of exhaust from his truck.
I slump against my car and raise my head. Snow is just starting to fall, melting as soon as it hits the pavement.
This goddamn town.

CHELSEA M. CAMERON’S AUTHOR LINKS:

Website  |  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by & feel free to leave a comment...I love comments!!! And I'm always happy to spread the comment love around :)