{ARC Review} Be My December by Rachel Brookes

Title: Be My December
Author: Rachel Brookes
Published: 28th September 2014
Age Group: New Adult
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Source: eARC provided by author for fair & honest review
Rating: 5/5
Goodreads  |  Amazon

BLURB:
I knew the exact moment I’d become a ‘yes’ girl. 
December 16th, a cold winter’s night, four years ago. 
The night my innocence was stolen, the night I made the mistake of saying no—a mistake I’d never make again. 
The dream of a ‘happily ever after' was now a locked away myth. I promised myself that I’d never return to the place of my worst nightmare, that I’d never let anyone get close, but then again, I never thought I’d meet someone like him. 
The intense, confident and beautiful Ky Crawford.

I had no plans to become someone’s Prince Charming. 
I couldn’t be. I refused to be. My plan was simple—do whatever it takes to correct my biggest mistake, my one regret that now controlled my life. 
I was on track. I had plans, but then everything changed when I saw her—the girl in the red jacket, the girl who I was told couldn’t say no. 
The reserved yet stunning Eden Rivers.

A girl who can’t say no.
A guy who craves redemption.
A chance encounter?

It all comes down to this.
One question.
One month.

Be My December?

Be My December is an incredibly powerful and emotional journey and for me is Rachel's best novel yet!

REVIEW:
The story:
Well this book was an incredibly intense and emotional journey. From the very first scene we are thrown into a scene that effected me so powerfully. What Eden goes through is something no woman should ever experience. Ever since her traumatic experience she's been hiding herself away from the world, only giving people a small glimpse of the amazing woman she really is. She's become what she calls a 'yes' girl - someone who never says no to anyone, afraid of the consequences and pain that will follow.

Ky has also been struggling with his own torment. He's been punishing himself for years, for not being able to protect Eden, and now that he's hiring her as a photographer for the magazine we works at, he sees this as an opportunity to make amends for his mistakes and bring Eden out of her shell. In Ky's words:

"I will make you realise that saying no is your given right and that saying yes can still be a beautiful thing." ~Ky

Together Ky & Eden embark on what they agree is a month long…shall we call it…experiment, believing that Eden will move away again after the month of December and her photography contract is over. But come January, will they be able to deny the feelings they have for each other?

The characters:
Eden was one of those characters that you know has so much vibrance and personality, but is so afraid and fearful of the world, that she doesn't let it shine. At first get to see glimpses of the real Eden, but it's not until she starts to spend time with Ky that the sassy lady starts to shine through. It was beautiful to see her grow and learn to be her true self.

Ky, is 'self-blamer'. He continually blames himself for not being there for Eden and now he is relishing the opportunity to put the spark back in Eden eyes. What was great to see was that Ky also grows as a character, becoming stronger and rock for Eden to lean on.

The romance:
Ky & Eden are exactly what each other need. They both need someone to help them overcome their past and create a better future. They have an undeniable attraction between them, but there is also so much more than that. They have an understanding and deeper emotional connection that was evident in every scene together, and it was lovely watching them fall madly in love.

The writing:
Rachel hasn't shied away from the very difficult topic of sexual assault. There are some very graphic scenes depicting what Eden went through. There is no sugarcoating, which gives us an insight into what Eden has had to endure. And although they are tragic & heartbreaking, they have been handled very tastefully. Rachel has also balanced the heavy storyline with some humour and sexy scenes, which was very effective.

FINAL WORD:
Be My December is an incredibly powerful and emotional journey and for me is Rachel's best novel yet!

CONTENT:
Sexuality: medium-strong / several sex scenes
Violence: very strong / graphic descriptions of sexual assault
Language: medium-strong / frequent f words
Drugs & alcohol: mild

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by & feel free to leave a comment...I love comments!!! And I'm always happy to spread the comment love around :)