{Review} Disruption by Jessica Shirvington

Title: Disruption
Series: Disruption #1
Author: Jessica Shirvington
Published: April 1st 2014
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Sci-Fi
Source: Paperback ARC provided by HarperCollins Au for fair & honest review
Rating: 5/5

BLURB:
What if a microchip could identify your perfect match?
What if it could be used against you and the ones you love?

Eight years ago, Mercer Corporation’s M-Bands became mandatory. An evolution of the smartphone, the bracelets promised an easier life. Instead, they have come to control it.

Two years ago, Maggie Stevens watched helplessly as one of the people she loves most was taken from her, shattering her world as she knew it. 
Now, Maggie is ready. And Quentin Mercer – heir to the M-Corp empire – has become key to Maggie’s plan. But as the pieces of her dangerous design fall into place, could Quentin’s involvement destroy everything she’s fought for? 

In a world full of broken promises, the ones Maggie must keep could be the most heartbreaking.

Warning: The following review will contain major fangirling 

REVIEW:
The story:
Wow this book…I don't even know what to say except I LOVED IT!!! Such a unique storyline and one that really makes you think. I actually felt like this is something that could honestly happen in the not to distant future and I find that both scary and extremely exciting!

Despite this book being labeled as a dystopian, it's more of a sci-fi, with the story being set in a slightly futuristic version of our own world. The only difference between this world and our current one is the 'M-band' technology. An M-band in basically like a smart phone on your wrist, and at 18 a compulsory app called 'Phera-tech' is activated. It can tell you how compatible you are with someone based on the pheromones the put out (ie. over 40% would good friends, over 80% would make a great romantic pairing). But if you score 4 negative ratings within one month - your labelled a Neg, believed to be a risk to society, and taken away. And this is exactly what happened to Maggie's father.

Maggie is determined to find her father in one of the many secret underground holding locations. With the help of her 'friend' Gus, she's worked so hard to find him and is getting closer, and with the help of Quentin Mercer - son of the creator of the M-Band - she believes she will finally find him. But while working together, they grow closer and for the first time ever Maggie starts to question her actions. How far is Maggie willing to go to find him and is she prepared to live with the consequences?

The characters:
Maggie, finally a strong kick-ass heroine!! It was so incredibly refreshing to have a female MC who wasn't completely in the dark and constantly being rescued - in fact it's Maggie who is doing the rescuing. She doesn't like to rely on anyone else and know how defend herself. But despite Maggie's strength, she is also realistically flawed, making decisions that she later comes to regret, but this just added to her being such a realistic and relatable character.

Quentin Mercer is in the position that we often see YA female characters in. He's just starting to realise that the world he believed was safe, is not what he thought it was. While trying to come to terms with the new revelations he also doesn't want to believe he's father would be capable of these evil actions. Quentin, while perhaps a little naive is incredibly loyal and I completely fell for him.

Gus is one of my favourite characters and he's relationship with Maggie. Despite Maggie holding possible blackmail over his head, they seem to have form a strange and unorthodox friendship. They constantly bicker and argue, creating some hilarious conversations that often became scene stealers. But somewhere under all that they do care about each other - and thankfully it always remains plutonic.

The romance:
The relationship between Maggie and Quentin is quite unique. At first Maggie sees Quentin simply as a means to an end, a stepping stone to finally locate her father. But as she starts to see past the 'heir of M-Corp' label, she starts to see the real Quentin. The chemistry between the two of them was excellent and they both try to ignore their growing attraction for very different reasons. This romance was very slow burning, which I loved and I can't wait to see more of these two!!

The writing:
I'm a Jessica Shirvington fangirl, there, I said it. She is my favourite author ever and in my opinion she can do no wrong. It's obvious when reading her books, that she does her research, and as a result the backstory and world building are always strong and draw you into the book. There was also plenty of action to push the story along, I couldn't turn the pages fast enough!

FINAL WORD:
Disruption is an absolute STOP-WHATEVER-YOUR-DOING-AND-READ-THIS-BOOK-NOW, kind of story!!! A strong heroine, a unique & compelling storyline, incredible writing and plenty of action…what more could you ask for?! Go read it NOW!!

CONTENT:
Sexuality: mild
Violence: medium / some fights and murder (not descriptive or graphic)
Language: mild-medium / some f words
Drugs & alcohol: mild / some minor underage drinking 

4 comments:

  1. Ok, you've convinced me I need to read this! I really liked her previous book, Between the Lines, but I wasn't sure if this one was for me ;)

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY I'm glad you enjoyed the book, I thought the premise was really interesting and Maggie was a great protoganist. I'm glad both Quentin turned out to be pretty decent too. Lovely review!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaah, I'm crying! There are so many different books that I literally have to read now! Everyone loves this book and I really want to jump on the bandwagon! I'm really glad you loved it as well. I promise, I will read it soon. Or at least one day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright.... so I have this one, but haven't read it! Now I know I have to bump it! Fab review!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by & feel free to leave a comment...I love comments!!! And I'm always happy to spread the comment love around :)